[Mageia-dev] Proposal: Deprecate draknetcenter+network init scripts after systemd becomes default.

Olivier Blin mageia at blino.org
Thu Sep 1 23:40:33 CEST 2011

Colin Guthrie <mageia at colin.guthr.ie> writes:

> Perhaps, but then a more interesting question is "what bits of drakx-net
> are used in mgaonline and drax-installer?" Just stating that they are
> used there as a reason to keep it isn't really a good argument IMO.

About mgaonline, it would probably be possible to use NM to poke for
network status.

About the drakx-installer, drakx-net code is used to get network status
but also configure the connections (ethernet, wireless, xdsl, ...).

I don't think the DrakX installer is quite ready yet to have dbus + NM
running, just to get the network status.
Also, it would probably be quite hard to integrate NM configuration
tools into the DrakX installer.

Other things I think are still unique in drakx-net:
- xDSL network configuration: we put a lot of work into this at
Mandriva, it is still working pretty well, and some users still need it
(just look at the comments of disappointed users of Mandriva 2011 on the
official blog or forums)
- automatic package installation: network tools, manufacturer tools,
drivers and firmwares are automatically pulled by the tools when
configuring an interface (the list of packages mentionned in drakx-net
is also used to automatically include "hardware support" packages when
building a live image)

Drawbacks of NM that come to my mind:
- hard to configure in command line (troubleshooting without X, or
server configuration)
- network config is by default user-dependant, and not available in
display manager

--
Olivier Blin - blino