[Mageia-dev] noarch vs. arch

Anssi Hannula anssi.hannula at iki.fi
Mon Sep 5 20:56:21 CEST 2011

On 03.09.2011 17:41, Olivier Blin wrote:
> Thierry Vignaud <thierry.vignaud at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On 2 September 2011 14:06, Michael Scherer <misc at zarb.org> wrote:
>>> It would help would be by having smaller hdlists, but I am not sure it
>>> would really help mirror so much. ( ie, I would not say "lots of space"
>>> even if that still a saving )
>>
>> Actualy hdlist are pretty much unused these days.
>
> It would still be of some benefit for synthesis as well, by having
> smaller ones, and by making dependency resolution a bit simpler for
> people having both 32 bits + 64 bits media available (by removing the
> doble noarch packages)

Well, with our current media architecture it is a no-go, since it would
double the amount of repositories and with our current amount of repos
changing configuration (e.g. to enable/disable Debug repos) either via
urpmi.cfg or rpmdrake is already a major PITA.

Before this can be considered, we need to change the configuration
system so that entries (can) contain 'Distribution + options' (with a
single flag for Debug, testing, etc), instead of current 'Media + options'.

--
Anssi Hannula