[Mageia-dev] time to try to build KDE with gold as linker?

Balcaen John mikala at mageia.org
Thu Sep 8 14:27:34 CEST 2011

Le Jeudi 8 Septembre 2011 13:29:39 Thierry Vignaud a écrit :
> Hi
> In order to speed up KDE build which is said to link quite slowly,
> wouldn't it be time to try to build KDE with gold as linker?
I can try locally at least (if i can use less than 6 hours to build KDE
on BS it would be nice :p ) , however do we have a specific macro to
specify using ld.gold instead of ld  (i never played with linker before)
?

Also from the mandriva thread  [1]. maybe we can considere switching to
gold by default for all packages (with somes exceptions for kernel &
others packages).
Another « solution » could be using alternatives for binutils so a
package can simply use gold linker by simply requering a binutils-gold
package like it's done in debian ?

Regards,

[1]
http://mandriva.598463.n5.nabble.com/Cooker-Announcement-binutils-
changes-switching-to-gold-and-new-behaviour-td4636613.html
--
Balcaen John