[Mageia-dev] Backports process (addendum to policy)

andre999 andre999.mga at laposte.net
Fri Sep 9 07:43:12 CEST 2011

Samuel Verschelde a écrit :
> Le jeudi 8 septembre 2011 21:16:50, Florian Hubold a écrit :
>> Am 08.09.2011 13:08, schrieb Colin Guthrie:
>>> 'Twas brillig, and Samuel Verschelde at 08/09/11 11:59 did gyre and
> gimble:

It would be a good idea to require giving the reason why refused, for clarity.
  (e.g. "Don't intend to maintain" or "Will conflict with version 123 of xyz",
or whatever.)

>>> Is this straight from the cauldron tree in subversion?

>>> Just from a man power perspective this, could be a lot of work for QA
>>> (even at lower priority) but I cannot see a way to improve this without
>>> sacrificing quality control!
>>
>> If the packager himself does basic testing and makes sure backport works,
>> that would relieve QA from some work, no?
>
> In my opinion this is what a packager should always do, be it for an update, a
> backport, or a package in cauldron. But this doesn't remove the need for a QA
> validation if we want to guarantee a minimal level of quality.

Agree - that should always be done.  QA is there to find what the packager
might have missed.

It seems an excellent backport policy - the weak link being the backport
packager having to commit to support for the life of the release -- even though
we can't garantie that it will be the case, that is a good requirement.

--
André