[Mageia-dev] changing apache configuration handling

Guillaume Rousse guillomovitch at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 10:06:56 CEST 2011

Hello list.

Our current default apache module configuration files all starts with:
<IfDefine HAVE_FOOBAR>
loadModule FooBar
</IfDefine>

This allow to be smart, and eventually run apache without installed
modules, which seems a cool idea. However, it also requires to
explicitely launch apache with -DHAVE_FOOBAR to be able to use the given
module, which seems however far less compliant with the general 'install
and run' general idea (and eventually too much technical for some part
of the target population). In order to mitigate this last point, our
current sysinit init script automatically compute the list of arguments
from the list of files present on the system, making it transparent for
the end user. In the same time, it seems also to defeat the original
purpose, as to my knowledge, you can't prevent it to automatically add
-DHAVE_FOOBAR to httpd command line...

Now, with systemd, the general idea is to reduce additional ad-hoc
behaviour found in init scripts, to focus on just running the services.
As a consequence, there is no 'find everything installed to pass option
to override conditional loading' in place. And I'm relunctant to
reintroduce something whose sole purpose seems to workaround a
self-imposed constraint.

So, we have the following choice:
- change current behaviour, by keeping conditionals in configuration
file. To use php, you have to install mod_php, and add -DHAVE_PHP5 in
/etc/sysconfig/httpd. This means additional configuration is required,
but also possibility to temporary disable without uninstalling.

- keep current behaviour, by removing conditionals in configuration
file. This means no additional configuration needed, but also than
installing implies usage.

What's the general opinion there ?
--
BOFH excuse #367: