[Mageia-dev] systemd vs dm

JA Magallon jamagallon at ono.com
Thu Sep 15 07:26:33 CEST 2011

On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 11:07:50 +0200
Guillaume Rousse <guillomovitch at gmail.com> wrote:

> Le 15/09/2011 06:53, JA Magallon a écrit :
> > Hi...
> >
> > Well, I'm starting to fight systemd...
> >
> > First easy to describe problem (apart from many others I will try to spot...)
> > dm starts before getty, finds the first usable tty (usually tty2), and gets
> > that. Everything supposes it runs on tty7 (see conflicts in systemd units
> > with getty at tty7 and so on...). If you restart dm, as it always tries
> > to find the first free tty, it depends on which ttys you have tried to
> > use to see where it starts.
> >
> > I have been looking where to put the 'vt7' option for Xorg, to force it
> > there and make it independent of order, but as gdm has
> > not a gdm.conf file anymore, everything is on gconf files in /var/lib/gdm,
> > I've had no luck.
> I don't think so, there is still a /etc/X11/gdm/custom.conf
> configuration file.
>
> > This is beginning to look like windows, we have a registry nobody understands
> > and things happen and you don't know why (because my /var/log/messages is
> > empty....0 size).
> Check your syslog implementation service being enabled.

one:~# systemctl list-units -a --full | grep log
console-kit-log-system-start.service loaded active   exited        Console System Startup Logging
netconsole.service        loaded inactive dead          LSB: Initializes network console logging
systemd-kmsg-syslogd.service loaded active   running       Syslog Kernel Log Buffer Bridge
systemd-logind.service    loaded active   running       Login Service
systemd-stdout-syslog-bridge.service loaded active   running       STDOUT Syslog Bridge
syslog.socket             loaded active   running       Syslog Socket
systemd-stdout-syslog-bridge.socket loaded active   running       Stdio Syslog Bridge Socket
syslog.target             loaded active   active        Syslog

one:~# rpm -qa --nosignature *syslog*
rsyslog-5.8.5-1.mga2

one:~# service rsyslog status
rsyslog.service - System Logging Service
	  Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/rsyslog.service; disabled)
	  Active: inactive (dead)
	  CGroup: name=systemd:/system/rsyslog.service

Ahh.....why the hell it did not appear with systemctl list-units -a ?

After systemctl enable rsyslog.service:

one:~# systemctl list-units -a --full | grep log
console-kit-log-system-start.service loaded active   exited        Console System Startup Logging
netconsole.service        loaded inactive dead          LSB: Initializes network console logging
rsyslog.service           loaded inactive dead          System Logging Service
systemd-kmsg-syslogd.service loaded active   running       Syslog Kernel Log Buffer Bridge
systemd-logind.service    loaded active   running       Login Service
systemd-stdout-syslog-bridge.service loaded active   running       STDOUT Syslog Bridge
syslog.socket             loaded active   running       Syslog Socket
systemd-stdout-syslog-bridge.socket loaded active   running       Stdio Syslog Bridge Socket
syslog.target             loaded active   active        Syslog

rebooting now....