[Mageia-dev] Meeting tonight

David W. Hodgins davidwhodgins at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 22:10:54 CEST 2011

On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 10:12:11 -0400, Thierry Vignaud <thierry.vignaud at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 15 September 2011 12:48, Samuel Verschelde <stormi at laposte.net> wrote:
>> The problem is the situation is a lot more different that what the secteam at
>> mdv had to face. Would we only need to add "new" dependencies to updated
>> packages, that would be no big deal and we wouldn't make all this noise, we'd
>> just copy the deps and that's all. The problem is that we support migration
>> from Mandriva 2010.2 to Mageia 1, and that causes various situations where
>> *any* dependency of an updated package can be required to install from Core
>> Release, so we have to copy the full dependency chain !
>
> OK.

Note that determining which dependencies have to be linked is not easy.

Some packages do not get installed from Core Release (or dvd), during upgrade,
as they are required by packages that are in Mandriva, but not in Mageia 1.
(Requires with explicit versions).

When that missing package gets added to updates, mgaapplet will also try
to install the dependencies from Core Release, to get the right version.

Likewise with the dependencies of those dependencies.

In the original bug 2097 (the one that triggered the filing of bug 2317),
kipi-plugins-expoblending could not be installed due to hugin only being
in core release.  So hugin was added to Core Updates.

The update still failed, as hugin requires enblend, which was only in Core
Release.  So not only do we need to link added dependencies, but a
recursive list of dependencies, with no easy way to figure out which
ones are really required.

> Note that his patch is broken as reported by testers...
> "the patch (...) suggested some updates from Backports Testing, even though
> the repository was not enabled"

Yes my attempted patch failed.  In my opinion, what we need, is for mgaapplet
to use it's current method to determine if there are updates, but use the
equivalent of urpmi --auto-select, to actually get the updates list, and
install them.

Regards, Dave Hodgins