[Mageia-dev] [Mageia-discuss] MANDATORY READ : 7 days before misc unleashes CERBERUS !

Samuel Verschelde stormi at laposte.net
Fri Sep 16 22:27:23 CEST 2011

Le vendredi 16 septembre 2011 18:48:20, Colin Guthrie a écrit :
> 'Twas brillig, and Michael Scherer at 16/09/11 14:39 did gyre and gimble:

> >> This whole idea of 'touch a package, become its maintainer' assumes than
> >> anyone modifying a package has an obvious interest in it.
> >
> > Then we can increase the heuristic, like "upgrade to a new version", or
> > "do several commit on it". Someone upgrading a package either :
> > - is interested in it for the package ( and thus would be a maintainer )
> > - is interested into having it upgraded for using on another package
> > ( and thus, as a user of the rpm for another rpm, has a interest to not
> > make it disappear ).
> >
> > And i doubt that someone would do X commit on a rpm if not interested in
> > it.
>
> Are heuristics a good idea? How about just making mgarepo ask you if you
> want to become the maintainer with a Y/n option (Y being default) when
> you call submit on an unmaintained package.
>
> This should be simple enough that people genuinely maintaining it can
> just hit return and also easy enough to opt out in the case of drive by
> upgrades.
>
> Col

This is an idea I like. More visibility to the fact that the package is
unmaintained, but no mandatory assignment.

I also think, like Philippe, that groups would help here : if for example a
"games" packager group is ready to maintain all games that have no specific
maintainer, I would certainly join that group.

Best regards

Samuel