[Mageia-dev] [changelog] cauldron core/release sound-scripts-0.61-2.mga2

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Sep 19 17:56:22 CEST 2011

'Twas brillig, and Thierry Vignaud at 19/09/11 15:27 did gyre and gimble:
>>> Not all people use PA.
>>> We even have options in draksound in order to disable it...
>>> Hence we must still support the case were PA isn't around...
>>
>> Yeah, but by the same token, turning off PA is obviously not part of the
>> recommended config.
>>
>> If people turn off PA, they have to expect a less integrated solution.
>>
>> And it's not as if things don't work. It's just that their systems would
>> require a little more configuration than before. But in turning off PA,
>> that's pretty much what they are signing up for anyway.
>>
>> Hence my desire not to fix this "bug" when it's already fixed in the
>> default setup.
>>
>> But if this is a show stopper for more people, I will see what we can do.
>
> What about reverting a change :-) ?

No, because it has the side affect of breaking sound from USB devices
when booting with systemd!

I probably should have noted it in the commit message but I did put a
comment in the spec file (of course I probably should have mentioned it
in this thread earlier too, but I guess I that because I just had it in
my head, I assumed it was a given - silly me!).

To explain further: alsa-utils has specific upstream-provided systemd
units to do the volume save/restore, I very much wanted to use them
rather than our home-made sound-scripts stuff.

I've left the scripts themselves in place for sysvinit boots, but on
systemd they are completely unused (I put in dummy units to ensure the
sysvinit versions were not run). This means that the
/var/lock/subsys/alsa file is never put in place and snd-usb-audio is
never loaded due to the modprobe rule.

This is why I removed it.

We could of course go back to the sound-scripts solution, but I don't
think it's really wise longer term.

mageia(at)colin.guthr.ie

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]