[Mageia-dev] Faac and building upon faac

Anssi Hannula anssi.hannula at iki.fi
Tue Sep 20 17:29:44 CEST 2011

On 20.09.2011 13:02, Balcaen John wrote:
> Le mardi 20 septembre 2011 06:32:47, Philippe DIDIER a écrit :
>> Hi !
>> Since sunday september 18th faac is provided in tainted repos for
>> mageia1 and cauldron.... after some controversy
> [..]
>> What do you think ?
>>
>> Philippe
> Well i even initially imported faac & soon after we removed it initially
> because of the  patents/license issue.
> So if it's now ok to import it there's no reason to not build packages against
> it since we do think it's « safe » enough to have it in our repository.

Including faac itself is no less safe than other patent-encumbered
codecs, since the non-free parts do not forbid redistribution.

However, the license of software 'x' may forbid (like GPL does)
distributing a binary of 'x' which is linked against non-free code
(which faac has), hence it may not be ok to build 'x' with faac support.

--
Anssi Hannula