[Mageia-dev] Faac and building upon faac

Anssi Hannula anssi.hannula at iki.fi
Wed Sep 21 20:53:21 CEST 2011

On 21.09.2011 21:41, Philippe DIDIER wrote:
> First I may apologize for breaking the thread
> (a little technical and geographical problem...)
>
> On/Wed Sep 21 03:47:31 CEST 2011/  *Anssi Hannula*  wrote :
>> On 21.09.2011 03:14, Philippe DIDIER wrote:
>>> /  Anssi Hannula wrote /Tue Sep 20 17:29:44/ :
> />>>/Including faac itself is no less safe than other patent-encumbered
> />>>/codecs, since the non-free parts do not forbid redistribution.
> />/>
> />/>  The only non-free and non GPL part of FAAC is the ISO MPEG reference
> />/>  code which
> />/>  it is based on... to comply with this international standard (nothing
> />/>  strange in that)
> />/>  everything else is LGPL .
> />/>  An international standard may not be modified,  for sure, and is
> surely
> />/>  not GPL !
> />/>  And for this reason we may consider FAAC as non-free...
> />
>> Copying reference code is not needed to comply with an international
>> standard.
>
> Sorry, my phrase was not clear enough :
> I meant :
> To comply with international standard (ISO), faac needed to be based on
> /the ISO MPEG reference/  /code/  , which is non-free and non GPL, and
> which is included
> in the sources... everything else is LGPL !
> Texas Instrument wrote and copyrighted this part of the ISO MPEG
> reference code in 1997...
>
> (I didn't mean that simply copying the reference code is needed to comply
> with the international standard...)

There is no need whatsoever to base AAC encoder code in the reference
code to comply with the standard.

All that is needed is an encoder that complies with the stream format
specification in the standard (which is not program code).

None of the other encoders we have that comply with international
standard are based on non-free reference code (to the best of our
knowledge, of course).

--
Anssi Hannula