[Mageia-dev] Trying to solve bug #2317 (was: Re: Meeting tonight)

Samuel Verschelde stormi at laposte.net
Thu Sep 22 14:35:55 CEST 2011

Le jeudi 15 septembre 2011 16:12:11, Thierry Vignaud a écrit :
[...]
> Suggestions:
> - investigating using the equivalent of --searchmedia

That is an interesting option indeed.

> - reusing the old connectiva upgrade infrastructure in the drakx installer
>   and release a patched installed (a mageia 1.1) that list mdv packages,
> remove them prior to upgrading"

This looks like a heavy solution (needs new ISOs, doesn't cover already
migrated systems, means that mdv packages that have no equivalent in mageia
are removed from the system), so it's not my preferred solution.

> - patch perl-URPM so that foobar-X-Ymga is always newer than foobar-Z-Wmdv

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what problems this third option would solve.
Can you explain to me (and maybe I'm not alone) ?

> In the first case, we would go with something like r[1-4].diff
> warning: unknown impact on startup time & RAM usage (in fact it's not
> even tested)

I applied those 4 patches to rpmdrake and built a RPM that I installed on my
system, but I haven't seen a difference in behaviour. The msec update candidate
from updates_testing (updates_testing media have the update flag set on my
system) still can't be installed, with the following message:

Sorry, the following package cannot be selected:
- msec-0.80.10-2.2.mga1.i586 (due to unsatisfied sendmail)

It apparently still doesn't use the /release media in MageiaUpdate, if I infer
correctly from the console logs :

[root at localhost ~]# LC_ALL=C MageiaUpdate
getting lock on urpmi
using mirror ftp://distrib-
coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr/pub/linux/Mageia/distrib/1/i586
retrieved $MIRRORLIST media/core/updates media_info/MD5SUM
comparing /var/cache/urpmi/partial/MD5SUM and /var/lib/urpmi/Core
Updates/MD5SUM
medium "Core Updates" is up-to-date
retrieved $MIRRORLIST media/core/updates_testing media_info/MD5SUM
comparing /var/cache/urpmi/partial/MD5SUM and /var/lib/urpmi/Core Updates
Testing/MD5SUM
medium "Core Updates Testing" is up-to-date
retrieved $MIRRORLIST media/nonfree/updates media_info/MD5SUM
comparing /var/cache/urpmi/partial/MD5SUM and /var/lib/urpmi/Nonfree
Updates/MD5SUM
medium "Nonfree Updates" is up-to-date
retrieved $MIRRORLIST media/nonfree/updates_testing media_info/MD5SUM
comparing /var/cache/urpmi/partial/MD5SUM and /var/lib/urpmi/Nonfree Updates
Testing/MD5SUM
medium "Nonfree Updates Testing" is up-to-date
retrieved $MIRRORLIST media/tainted/updates media_info/MD5SUM
comparing /var/cache/urpmi/partial/MD5SUM and /var/lib/urpmi/Tainted
Updates/MD5SUM
medium "Tainted Updates" is up-to-date
retrieved $MIRRORLIST media/tainted/updates_testing media_info/MD5SUM
comparing /var/cache/urpmi/partial/MD5SUM and /var/lib/urpmi/Tainted Updates
Testing/MD5SUM
medium "Tainted Updates Testing" is up-to-date
unlocking urpmi database
getting lock on urpmi
using mirror ftp://distrib-
coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr/pub/linux/Mageia/distrib/1/i586
examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/Core Updates/synthesis.hdlist.cz]
examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/Core Updates
Testing/synthesis.hdlist.cz]
examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/Nonfree Updates/synthesis.hdlist.cz]
examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/Nonfree Updates
Testing/synthesis.hdlist.cz]
examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/Tainted Updates/synthesis.hdlist.cz]
examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/Tainted Updates
Testing/synthesis.hdlist.cz]

[...]
> >> 1)  we know there will be cases where it won't work
> >>      (see above those with the DVD media and not the full network
> >>      media, some new dependencies won't be found on the DVD, ...).
> >>      Multiply by those who have installed 32 DVD, 64 DVD, dual arch DVD,
> >> ... There are lots of different scenarios to deal with ...
> >
> > I think most of us are ready to ask users to add the full media set along
> > with updates media.
>
> And still you won't catch the users that won't ask you, that won't read the
> doc, ...
> You can increase the % of end users that will be covered but I fear you
> won't even cover 50% of them.

Yes, that is something we will have to decide independently of bug 2137 : do
we still want self-contained updates media in the future (when the mdv=>mga
transition problem will be gone) or not. I don't know, I see drawbacks in both
ways.
If the tools add the whole media set by default (removing the button that
proposes only updates media), and if we add proper warnings and helpers in the
right place (for example have MageiaUpdate and/or rpmdrake detect the lack of
activated release media and propose to add them, the way it does for update
media currently), we should cover much more than 50% of the end-users.

Also, a message such as "Sorry, the following package cannot be selected:
- msec-0.80.10-2.2.mga1.i586 (due to unsatisfied sendmail)" is much more
understandable when you *don't* have release media available on your system
than when you do. Especially when starting the update tool you already got a
message saying that you should activate the release media.

So the main argument that I would keep in favor of copying dependencies to
updates media would be if we want to support the mirroring of updates media
only. But I'm not sure it is worth the extra work (although I may be wrong).

[...]
> > The main difficulty is handling the transition, but this is
> > doable too. For people who might disable release media, this may be a
> > problem, but is there really an interesting use case for disabling
> > release media and activating updates media ?
>
> Whether it's either interesting or not, some people just do that.
>
> Or play with /etc/urpmi/skip.list.
> Another scenario I didn't bring attention upon..

Indeed. But those should understand the error message I hope (and if they
don't, well, *they* played with the skip list :) ).

> >> Will you provides patches, test scenario and do the testing?
> >
> > Patches, not sure. Test scenarios is doable, testing too.
>
> The faillure of the proposed patch should be a scenario for regression
> testing btw.

Indeed.

Best regards

Samuel