[Mageia-dev] PING for bug 2160

Frank Griffin ftg at roadrunner.com
Sun Sep 25 18:32:59 CEST 2011

On 09/25/2011 12:05 PM, Balcaen John wrote:
> Le Dimanche 25 Septembre 2011 11:21:51 Frank Griffin a écrit :
>> so I question why it's needed.
> Because of gnome 3.

Considering that NM  activates (and fails) during network startup well
before GNOME ever gets into the picture, I doubt that it works any
better there.  Does GNOME 3 function with the older drakx support ?  If
so, could the requires for NM simply be removed until it works ?

>> Perhaps it should be moved to testing for those hardy souls for which
>> it is useful, but I really can't see Mageia 2 going out the door with
>> this level of wireless breakage.
> Well so far nm is still not the default network manager for mageia.

Then why does it continue to try to manage my interfaces whether or not
I disable support in the ifcfg-wlan0 ?  Others have confirmed the same
behavior.  I'm not sure what significance "not being the default" has
here, unless you mean that we still provide support for the drakx stuff.

Whether or not it is the default, just having it installed (or possibly
started by init, based on comments in the bug) is sufficient to break
wireless on many systems.