[Mageia-dev] [RFC] msec (nail) can't send reports to local users accounts - require an MTA?

andre999 andre999mga at laposte.net
Mon Sep 26 02:55:26 CEST 2011

Florian Hubold a écrit :
> Am 22.09.2011 01:32, schrieb Eugeni Dodonov:
>> On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 19:09, Luc Menut <lmenut at free.fr
>> <mailto:lmenut at free.fr>> wrote:
>>

>> But perhaps we could/should change the configuration of msec to not send
>> email by default, by adding MAIL_WARN=no in
>> /etc/security/msec/security.conf.
>>

>> Better doing it for /etc/security/msec/level.* then.
>>
>> --
>> Eugeni Dodonov
>> <http://eugeni.dodonov.net/>
> That sounds sensible to me. If nobody objects, i'll think that's the way
> to go.

Looking at the current defaults by level
  for MAIL_USER= , MAIL_WARN= , and NOTIFY_WARN= respectively:

level.none: every parameter is nul (undefined)
level.standard, .netbook, .audit_daily, .audit_weekly are:  root , yes , yes
level.fileserver, .webserver, .secure are:  root , yes , no

So all levels currently default to send warnings to root,
and only the server and secure levels don't default to displaying warnings on
the desktop.

It probably makes sense to change the default to MAIL_WARN=no for standard and
netbook.  (Since if the messages are ignored, they will end up using a lot of
disk space.)
But for the other levels, it seems to me that the current default (yes) is more
likely to be wanted.  As well, users selecting those security levels should
(hopefully) be savy enough to know what values to configure.

--
André