[Mageia-dev] GNOME 3.2 or 3.4 for Mageia 2?

Samuel Verschelde stormi at laposte.net
Fri Sep 30 17:52:06 CEST 2011

Le vendredi 30 septembre 2011 15:00:45, Olav Vitters a écrit :
> On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 09:33:59PM +0200, Samuel Verschelde wrote:
> > However, how great is GNOME 3.4 going to be as compared to 3.2.2 ? :)
>
> For me it is multiple things:
> 1. More stable; The more people use a recent version of GNOME, more
>    fixes will go into GNOME and long term GNOME is more stable
>
>    Basically: if your GNOME version is old, developers spend less time
>    on it, because they assume the issue is probably fixed. So, IMO, to
>    ensure GNOME stays at a high quality, you have to provide a recent
>    version... staying 1 version behind only works for short term (the
>    "Release early, release often" mindset).

Did I misunderstand , or is GNOME 3.2 not going to have any fixes after 3.2.2,
although 3.4 will still not be ready at that time, leaving users with several
months without any fixes ? I would understand that 3.2 would stop being
supported a few months after 3.4 is out, but if really support stops *before*,
that's puzzling :)

For small projects, I can understand that developers always want to you to use
the latest (lastest stable version at least), but for bigger projects such as
a DE, I would find it surprising. We all know that once a major version has
been released, it will have users for years.

When users report a bug in Mageia 1, we don't tell them "use cauldron, it's
fixed them": we try to fix it in Mageia 1.

Best regards

Samuel