[Mageia-dev] Importing RPM Groups

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Mon Jan 10 01:32:02 CET 2011

Le dimanche 09 janvier 2011 à 11:54 +0100, Samuel Verschelde a écrit :
> Le dimanche 9 janvier 2011 10:49:19, Remy CLOUARD a écrit :
> > Hi,
> >
> > I just imported the RPM Groups page into the wiki.
> >
> > I verified the list was complete with what rpmlint returns as valid RPM
> > groups.
> >
> > Maybe some groups are obsolete, others could be created
> >
> > Proposal for removal:
> > Graphical desktop/FVWM based (only one entry)
> > Graphical desktop/Sawfish (only one entry)

That look like a good criteria for removal, yes

> > Proposal for creation:
> > Development/Haskell
> > Development/OCaml
> > Graphical desktop/LXDE
> > Networking/Chat (merge with Instant Messaging)
> > Sound/Players (because listening to music and creating it is a very
> > different thing IMHO)
> > Sound/Editors
> > Sound/Other
> >
> > WDYT ?
> >
> > Regards,
>
> I think groups may need a bigger rework than just those changes. To me,
> package groups should be as close as possible as menu entries (for graphical
> packages), but maybe that would be too few groups ?

Well, we would still have to do something for non graphical rpm, and I
would think that the vast majority would fall in this category.

And the context and order of magnitude is different. In the menu, you
don't want to have too many category, because that would provide
clutter. On a database of more than 1000 rpms, you will have lots of
packagers whatever you do, so while we should aim for less clutter, we
cannot do much due to the number of rpm.

> In fact, debian has some advance upon us on this, by the use of debtags. We
> could maybe simplify grouping if we could put some information in tags rather
> than in groups.
>
> I don't know if there are cross-distributions efforts to harmonize package
> groups, but that would be an interesting subject to tackle in the upcoming
> meeting in Nürnberg.

Yup.

But we should first decide "what do we use group for". Ie, they appear
in :
- packages managers ( to the extended sense, that mean rpmdrake, and
installer )
- elsewhere ?

They are then used by :
- users ?
- developers ( don't think so )

And used for what purpose ?
- finding packages that fulfill some usage criteria ? ( like "I need a
software for doing sound related stuff" )
- removing some package from the list

And I would also see what others lists do exist. IE, the group of
debian, of fedora, of opensuse, etc, etc. So see if we can inspire from
them, etc.

--
Michael Scherer