[Mageia-dev] Adding Java-Policy

Daniel Kreuter daniel.kreuter85 at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 10 09:11:34 CET 2011

On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 11:13 PM, Anssi Hannula <anssi.hannula at iki.fi> wrote:

> On 08.01.2011 11:39, Farfouille wrote:
>
> My suggestion would be to look at how Mandriva packages are done, as we
> will probably initially follow their java policy.
> (note that the mandriva java packages do not have the gcj AOT binaries,
> and they are compiled with openjdk on archs were openjdk is available)
>
> I'm not saying that a completely new java packaging policy is not needed
> (it is), though, so if the java developers have the resources to convert
> all imported java packages to a completely new policy, I'm all for it :)
>
> There are around 400 java packages in Mandriva, though I hope we don't
> need to import all of them (i.e. hopefully many are unused/old).
>
> --
> Anssi Hannula

That could be a very hard task, because you have to look if there aren't any
dependencies on some of these packages. I would suggest to drop the whole
gcj packages, but even it's unmaintained now by upstream, there are a few
programs depending on it (like a few packages of ant i think)
But writing a policy about the openjdk would be the right thing now because
we will integrate it, it's also in mandriva but without a policy or Remy
didn't find one for that.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Greetings