[Mageia-dev] Adding Java-Policy

Farfouille farfouille64 at laposte.net
Mon Jan 10 15:28:46 CET 2011

Le 10/01/2011 10:36, Anssi Hannula a écrit :

[...]
> GCJ is not unmaintained, it is part of GCC.
> See http://gcc.gnu.org/viewcvs/trunk/gcc/java/ChangeLog?view=markup
>
> Dropping it would be more work than not dropping it, so I don't see the
> point.
>
> On 10.01.2011 10:11, Daniel Kreuter wrote:
>> there
>> are a few programs depending on it (like a few packages of ant i think)
>
> Ant doesn't depend on it. There are several packages that depend on it,
> though, yes.
>
>> But writing a policy about the openjdk would be the right thing now
>> because we will integrate it, it's also in mandriva but without a policy
>> or Remy didn't find one for that.
>
> Yes.

After spending some hours browsing through mandriva media (inluding contrib and plf) and spec files, I found out that :

1) Only 4 packages depend on gcj :
      - csound-java : a sound and music synthesis system
      - javasvn : a Pure Java Subversion Client Library (now SVNKit)
      - opengrok : a fast and usable source code search and cross reference engine
      - tuxguitar : A Multitrack tablature editor and player
  Only csound-java still requires gcj on Fedora (but not on Ubuntu). All the other are now build using open-jdk on Fedora. Even tuxguitar is now built with openjdk on cooker.
  Therefore, we can conclude that gcj is not a top priority for Java package policy.

2) Effective Mandriva Java packaging policy is almost the same as Fedora. Btw Fedora java package policy is up to date and very complete.
It is written under Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported licence (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/). I was wondering if I can adapt the Fedora policy to Mageia.
This is allowed by its licence, but I don't know if it is possible or desirable to attribute some Mageia policy stuff to Fedora. Help on this point is welcome.

--
Farfouille