[Mageia-dev] Proposal for Mageia: implement bitorrent protocol to allow updates download

Olivier Thauvin nanardon at nanardon.zarb.org
Wed Jan 12 12:14:49 CET 2011

* andre999 (andr55 at laposte.net) wrote:
> Michael Scherer a écrit :
>>
>> Le mardi 11 janvier 2011 à 20:03 +0100, Marcello Anni a écrit :
>
> In my case, using aria2c with 2 mirrors and the default 5 connexions is
> at least 3 times as fast as a single connexion (to my closest mirror).
> And a much greater improvement over other download options I've tried.

This is a selfish point of view, nothing is important except the result
on your side.

But as I can see the results of such thing on distrib-coffee I can tell:
- often the bandwidth limititation is client side (eg you, with your DSL
  connection, and not the mirror, with 100mbits/s or more)
- all mirrors have limit, and when the max connection will be reached
  the mirror will stop serving you (download will be very faster !)

Of course, if in the case I don't blacklist mageia and deny download via
http/ftp to save my mirror (d-c is already under heavy load).

So, no, don't donwload several times from a mirror.

BTW: on distrib-coffee bandwidth is regulated by IP, not connection,
downloading 5 times will not be faster than 1.

--

Olivier Thauvin
CNRS  -  LATMOS