[Mageia-dev] Proposal for Mageia: implement bitorrent protocol to allow updates download

Olivier Thauvin nanardon at nanardon.zarb.org
Thu Jan 13 00:31:22 CET 2011

* Marcello Anni (marcello.anni at alice.it) wrote:
> > Thanks Olivier, for saying this much better than I could
> >
> > wobo, yet another mirror maintainer
> >
> yes wobo, but  except Per Øyvind no one has really answered to my question...
> i think if that if we want Mageia to become the most popular distro over the
> world -yep!- we should find a way to augment the overall bandwith available for
> updates download, and what's better than bittorrent protocol to use user
> available bandwith to do this? i would like to know:
>
> - if it is possible from a techincal pov
> - if it is convenient and useful (overall in a long-term vision)
> - if we could plan it for the coming releases (and who could take in charge
> this)

I can quickly answer to this:
- bittorent is denied where distrib-coffee is hosted.

This close every discuss on this side.

But I can probably setup a bittorent server elsewhere (it is nice to
work with two different university). But first I have to ask to network
administrator.

From my own experience, I never saw bittorent so efficient for
downloading, except it reduce the bandwidth for the team making the iso
available (and this is still not sure).

BTW: It's time to find mirrors for the distribution ! Any volunteer ?
http://mirrors.mageia.org/

Regards.

--

Olivier Thauvin