[Mageia-dev] package import policy

Maarten Vanraes maarten.vanraes at gmail.com
Sat Jan 15 13:56:11 CET 2011

Op zaterdag 15 januari 2011 09:48:42 schreef Remy CLOUARD:
> On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 01:01:33AM +0100, Maarten Vanraes wrote:
> > The wiki page lists method to import a package:
> > ( http://www.mageia.org/wiki/doku.php?id=packaging )
> >
> > so, i followed every step, then contacted my mentor, only it seems the
> > process is not used like that; it seems 2 ways are used; and the one
> > used most (by people i know) is not the one that is on the wiki page.
> >
> > So, i would like to list both on the wiki page, so it is clearer.
> >
> > this is what i would put for in between step 4 and 5
> >
> >   - a second possibility is:
> >     - Read the [[svn-faq|FAQ]] about the new SVN
> >     - Download the SRPM from a Mandriva Mirror. The rationale behind this
> >     is
> >
> > to keep history for past changes in the RPM (there is a pre-rpm5 mdv srpm
> > mirror http://tmb.mine.nu/Mageia/Cauldron/mdv-SRPMS-pre-rpm5/ )
> >
> >     - Check it does not have unlicensed Mandriva stuff: image (icons),
> >     video,
> >
> > audio files, other
> >
> >     - Check it does have a clear, explicit license with it.
> >     - Check software license ( free or not, existence of license file)
> >     - Rebuild the SRPM (with bm -sl for instance)
> >     - Import the packages with **mgarepo** import package.src.rpm. Be
> >     sure to
> >
> > run this command under your ssh-agent, otherwise import will fail
> >
> >     - Check out the imported version in a repository with mgarepo
> >     - Check it does not have "mandriva" / "mandrake" occurrences used as
> >
> > brand/name in the software (history/changelog is ok, emails for
> > references are ok)
> >
> >     - Update software on last stable version
> >     - Send patches upstream if possible
> >     - Remove useless cruft ( like macro that no longer apply )
> >
> >       - Buildroot is no longer necessary
> >       - %mdkversion
> >       - ldconfig in post (handled by filetriggers)
> >
> >     - commit the update with a good commit message.
> >
> > any objections?
>
> So, that means performing the import first, and then commit your changes
> inside SVN. Well, I’d say why not, it would help other people review the
> changes, and we would also be sure that it’s well formatted too.
>
> If everyone agree, I’d say we just replace the content on the wiki with
> your proposal

No this is not a proposal.

I'm saying that it seems to me that most people currently importing packages
at this moment seem to be using this method, instead of the method proposed on
the wiki.

That's why i feel that i should add this (along with the other method) to the
wiki, to avoid confusion. Pending disapproval of currently active package
importers.