[Mageia-dev] Compatibility: %mdkversion macro?

Maarten Vanraes maarten.vanraes at gmail.com
Sun Jan 16 09:15:27 CET 2011

Op zondag 16 januari 2011 01:19:29 schreef Samuel Verschelde:
> Le dimanche 16 janvier 2011 00:07:56, Anssi Hannula a écrit :
> > Hi all!
> >
> > Should we have a %mdkversion (and %mdkver/%mdvver) that is hardcoded to
> > 201100 for the time being, or should we not have one at all?
> >
> > Not having it will cause any src.rpms that have any
> > "%if %mdkversion < x" to fail to build.
> >
> > I'm strongly in favor of having it for compatibility reasons, so that
> > most MDV src.rpms keep building on Mageia for the time being, including
> > those provided by any 3rd party packagers.
> >
> > Not having the macro will cause us to lose that compatibility for very
> > little benefit, IMO. It could maybe be removed after several releases,
> > but not before.
> >
> > However, it seems blino disagreed with this, and he thinks we should not
> > have these macros at all.
> >
> > What do other people think?
>
> If not having those macros means we can't compile mdv SRPMS on mageia, then
> I'd prefer we keep it.
>
> Regards
>
> Samuel Verschelde

i would prefer to have some kind of %{_vendor}%{_vendor_release} type of
thing, we could easily have mandriva and mageia use the same tags for this.

after all, there will be a time where we will need similar compatibility. and
it's be easier for later to possibly have similar .spec files with other
vendors: PLF?  OpenSuse, Fedora, ...