[Mageia-dev] What to do for software having MDV/Mandriva in name

Hoyt Duff hoytduff at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 02:34:24 CET 2011

On 1/16/11, Olivier Thauvin <nanardon at nanardon.zarb.org> wrote:

> So I am favor to import it with this name (we didn't rename RPM because
> it mean RedHat Package Manager...).

At the risk of being called pedantic, RPM _now_ stands for "RPM
Package Manager" in all its GNU  recursive acronym goodness (GNU's Not
Unix, WINE Is Not an Emulator, etc.) for precisely the reason you
raise, so people would not use/drop it because of the RedHat name.

Where MDK or drak is part of the application name (and hence the
package name), it should not be changed because that is its name and
Mandriva did, in fact, create it. When Mageia writes its own
applications (mageiahelp, diskmagia, mageiasound) or forks the
MDK/drak application (and starts separate, non-cooperative
development), then change the name. Otherwise, it might be seen as if
we are trying to hide something if only the name appears to change
just to obscure the Mandriva origins..

For items that are simply "branded", those names should be changed,
but not necessarily in the first Mageia release unless copyrighted
items are involved.

--
Hoyt