[Mageia-dev] What to do for software having MDV/Mandriva in name

Romain d'Alverny rdalverny at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 09:49:24 CET 2011

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 02:07, Olivier Thauvin
<nanardon at nanardon.zarb.org> wrote:
> I am supposed to be the maintainers of this software, required by base
> of the system:
>
> perl-MDV-Distribconf-4.02-1mdv2010.1.src.rpm
> perl-MDV-Packdrakeng-1.13-5mdv2010.1.src.rpm
>
> Should we remove the 'MDV' part ?

Why should we?

As I understand it, this is the name of a specific package of Perl
stuff; at most, the "MDV" part is only a name tag (it's not a
registered trademark, barely a brand either) and it shows some
inheritance from MandrakeSoft/Mandriva days, because that's how the
software package was named at the start.

As Hoyt points out, it would be more relevant to change the tag
if/when/once this code base grows independantly from the original one.

If that is to be expected, yes, that may be good enough a reason to
rename; but that may not be really urgent for this release?

Romain