[Mageia-dev] Compatibility: %mdkversion macro?

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Jan 17 16:58:35 CET 2011

'Twas brillig, and Michael scherer at 17/01/11 08:40 did gyre and gimble:
> On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 12:32:24PM +0100, Samuel Verschelde wrote:

>>> I believe you're right at the moment, now that we're importing things,
>>> but after the very first time, starts becoming nonsense since
>>> i believe we're going to work on our packages distro per distro not taking
>>> every time srpms from mandriva as we're doing now.
>>>

>> Well, it may be a naïve hope, but I thought I could maintain the same spec file
>> for Mandriva and Mageia for my packages. It's not just a matter of importing
>> SRPMS from Mandriva to Mageia.
>
> Given the fact that rpm5 is drifting away from the usage of %mkrel for using %distepoch,
> I truly doubt this will happen.

I think the mkrels will stay for a while tho' (for ease of backporting)
so I think we'll have some "breathing space" in this regard. I suspect
that once all the wrinkles are ironed out, that we'll also go down the
RPM5 route (which will hopefully be easier for us then), in which case
the distepoch will likely become used by us too.

Hard to say exactly what'll happen in the future, but it's at least
semi-likely.

Col

--

Colin Guthrie