[Mageia-dev] background and theme path

Remy CLOUARD shikamaru at mandriva.org
Wed Jan 19 13:53:08 CET 2011

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 01:06:49PM +0100, Olivier Blin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to move away from the hardcoded backgrounds location for
> themes, and put them in a distro-neutral path
> (was /usr/share/mdk/backgrounds/ in Mandriva)
>
> Most Gnome backgrounds appear to be located in
> /usr/share/pixmaps/backgrounds/ (some are in /usr/share/backgrounds/)
>
> Is everyone ok to have our backgrounds in
> /usr/share/pixmaps/backgrounds/<theme name>/ and the distro default as
> /usr/share/pixmaps/backgrounds/default.jpg ?
>
> Thanks
Well, I’d say it would be better if it were also desktop-neutral.

AFAIK, there is one freedesktop specification for icons [1], but not for
wallpapers, it would be nice to raise this subject on fd.o ml.

I don’t know which package owns /usr/share/pixmaps/backgrounds/, but
apparently it’s not desktop-common-data. I would rather not having to
install gnome packages/kde packages for that.

Regards,

[1] http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/icon-theme-spec
--
Rémy CLOUARD