[Mageia-dev] [RFC] Ruby packaging policy

Remy CLOUARD shikamaru at mandriva.org
Fri Jan 21 21:28:39 CET 2011

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 08:58:25PM +0100, Remy CLOUARD wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 01:49:30AM +0100, Michael Scherer wrote:
> > Le vendredi 07 janvier 2011 à 23:45 +0100, Remy CLOUARD a écrit :
> > > You can find the page here:
> > > http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Policies/Ruby
I imported the policy in the wiki, it’s available here:
http://mageia.org/wiki/doku.php?id=ruby_policy

I removed some undecided stuff, added some recommendations for
%prep/%build/%install/%check sections, and fixed the sample spec from
some errors.

Thanks for reviewing that page.
> > This cause problem since we do have rpm present twice ( without people
> > noticing, as I dicovered when trying to use gitorious ). More ever, this
> > is confusing for packagers. There is also potential breakage if someone
> > start to do tarball, then gems, etc etc.
> >
> > I have already expressed my opinion on the subject, and still maintain
> > it :
> >
> > ruby rpm should be ruby-*.
> >
> Ok, so I assume ruby rpm should be packaged as a gem or as a regular
> package, but not both (sounds sensible anyway)
>
> [...]
>
> Now, I’ve made an erb template to match what we discussed up till now.
>
> You can see the result here
> http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Ruby_packaging_policy#Samples
>
> A few comments about this spec:
> - devel package is generated to pull the development dependencies, maybe
>   it could be created also whenever there are additional files that are
>   not in the require_paths node of the YAML specification.
After trying that out, I must say I’m not really satisfied with that. It
would be better if we could find a way to do the check at build time. It
also brings some complexity to the spec :/

Regards,
--
Rémy CLOUARD