[Mageia-dev] Packager meetings for tonight

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Thu Feb 3 02:44:38 CET 2011

Le mercredi 02 février 2011 à 17:26 +0100, Michael Scherer a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> Next meeting will happen tonight on #mageia-dev at 20h UTC.
>
> Quick proposal for agenda ( the meeting must be quick ) :
> - review of the task distributed last week
> ( http://meetbot.mageia.org/mageia-dev/2011/mageia-dev.2011-01-26-20.03.html )
> - proposal on what should be imported in priority ( and distribution of
> the work )

So as discussed tonight ( but if you couldn't be present at the meeting,
do not hesitate to express yourself now ), we proposed to have some
order in the import of rpm ( ie avoid the resulting anarchy due to lack
of process for bootstrap ).

In order to start by something tangible and easy to manage, let's take a
concrete case. The sysadmin team discussed to use mageia on the servers
( once the stable release is out ie, not now ) for obvious reasons of
dogfooding. But for this, we will have to import the needed rpms. I
extracted from puppet logs the lists of rpm, and I have a list of the
major component needed.

The rule would be to take 1 and only 1 rpm ( or family ) at the time, to
make sure it work fine ( ie, compile for the moment, and also install ),
to make sure the package is cleaned ( ie, patchs sent upstream,
commented, etc ), and to make sure that everybody can find something to
do.

And that of course requires to do the same for missing BuildRequires,
and Requires ( but since lots of rpm have been imported without being
fully cleaned, and since there is now a fast web interface for svn,
people have no excuse to not check ).

I will place the list on the wiki tomorrow, and people wishing to work
on importing a rpm should add their name/login/whatever after the rpm,
and then to work on it. If there is already someone working on a rpm,
just take another one, or try to work with this person.

Of course, nothing prevent people from working on something else if they
wish, but this list of package are IMHO the one that we are sure to find
testers ( aka sysadmins ). Moreover, as most if not all are servers, or
at least, stuff without graphical interface, they will be ready to be
tested once the mirror will be ready.

Once this list wil be cleared, we will likely be ready on more
consequent bunch of rpms ( like kde, gnome, xfce, etc, etc ).

So if someone has remarks, or questions, do not hesitate.
--
Michael Scherer