[Mageia-dev] New mockups about mageia-app-db

Marcello Anni marcello.anni at alice.it
Mon Feb 7 12:45:23 CET 2011

> >> http://img696.imageshack.us/i/mageiafindoutbrowsingpa.jpg/

> >> [remember that this is only a first mockup made by me (the developer is
> >> Samuel), my goal is to provide to him all the most interesting infos and
ideas
> >> to develop the app as best as possible.]

> >> well, if you have mandriva installed, do you think you don't know what
release
> >> is? alpha release vs. cauldron could be "Mageia 2011" and "Mageia 2012"
> >
> > whereas eventually I may know about release ( Mageia 2011 ), I may not
> > know about updates/backports/testing/....
> > What's the point fo browsing by release ? It's an application
> > database, so you should browse by applications.

this mockup depends for some aspects on the current implementation:

http://88.191.121.20/madb/master/index.php/?source=0&distrelease=8&application=1&arch=1

i agree about browsing only by applications, but for power users is important
also the updates/backports/testing/ option.

> >> do you mean showing only "amarok" field and when you get into it you'll
> >> download different versions depending on the release installed? it can be
an
> >> interesting idea.
> >
> > first I see the main categories : Office, Sound & Video, Tools, ...
> > Then the sub-category and then the application :
> > Sound & Video -> Sound -> Amarok
> > The left pane should only show categories, the application list will
> > be displayed in the center pane.
> >
> > See tthe way you navigate in this :
> > http://download.cnet.com/windows/mp3-and-audio-
software/?tag=rb_content;contentNav

this reflect the current mockup of the navigation page, did you see it? is it
moreover similar to your preferences?

> >> also here, i mean something like this: "Mageia 2011" and "Mageia 2012"
> >
> > this won't scale when you will have more and more release, except if
> > you plan to show only 2 releases, and so to support a mandriva release
> > only during 2 releases cycles.

about this i should hear the developer, depending on how is implemented it
could be useful or cluttering.

> > Close the World, Open the Net
> > http://www.linux-wizard.net
> >

> I like the ratings and the "news" about new packages on the right,
> however the centre pane is a little cluttered, maybe if the info there
> was put into topics with turn down boxes it would make it clearer and
> cleaner as the information is a little distracting atm.
>
> Donald.

you're right, it is a little cluttered, the home-page mockup is only a first
version to improve. to better satisfy user needs and preferences, we could use
the user preferences and settings, as:
- show only a release
- show only specific packages (+ notifications?)
- etc...

other ideas/critics?

cheers,
Marcello