[Mageia-dev] time to switch from raw partitions to lvm?

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 22 03:36:07 CET 2011

2011/2/21 Buchan Milne <bgmilne at staff.telkomsa.net>:
> On Monday, 21 February 2011 11:49:27 Thomas Lottmann wrote:
>> I am still not convinced of how easy this can be. For having attempted
>> to manage (and learn) how to manage LVM partitons with CentOS, it is
>> quite complicated. So it certainly has many advantages, but I'm awaiting
>> an intuitive disk manager like Diskdrake to manage this stuff without
>> the need of preliminary knowledge.
>
> Yes, with diskdrake, it's no problem. Anaconda's LVM interface is quite
> confusing and complex. After installation, AFAIK, you can't access the same
> interface. system-config-lvm (if it's still around) was also pretty unusable.
>
> But, we have diskdrake, so why are the problems of CentOS an issue?

Because (as I remarked earlier) there are people who have other Linux
flavors on their harddisk before they try Mageia - what if they do
their partitioning with those (i.e. CentOS)?

Again, people do not work all the same. There are people who do their
partitioning with 3rd-party apps like gparted or others. There are
people who like to have a bootloader in the root partition of each
Linux they install (using chainloader in the first Linux' grub), etc.

IMHO it is a bad idea to make LVM default, because there are too many
cases around where people would not want LVM. LVM as an option is a
far better solution and let the user decide what he wants.

--
wobo