[Mageia-dev] About panotools patent problem (and other problematic rpms)

Philippe DIDIER philippedidier at laposte.net
Tue Feb 22 11:48:10 CET 2011

Quote: rdalverny wrote on Tue, 22 February 2011 11:04

> >> Long time ago,
>
> How long is a "long time ago"? because every patent has a term and
> here it may have expired.

Long time ago means 1999..
Actually the problem has not expired : Bruno Postle the main dev of hugin
and panotools projects uses fedora and builds the rpm for Fedora (and
proposes on his own repo rpms of the betas and release candidates ... )
He is certainly the guy that must be aware of the patent problems : he
still proposes a limited version of panotools on official Fedora's
repositories !!!

The source are written to be built with or without fov limitation depending
of the possible patent infringement (no limit in Europe...)