[Mageia-dev] About panotools patent problem (and other problematic rpms)

Tux99 tux99-mga at uridium.org
Thu Feb 24 00:27:38 CET 2011

Quote: Thomas Backlund wrote on Sun, 20 February 2011 19:48

> It is an abuse yes,
> but the great thing about it is we _know_ it works...
> so no surprises...
>
> (if it aint broken...)

Agreed, the automatic preference of urpmi for plf when plf is enabled is
something I have always appreciated on Mandriva, so I would prefer if we
keep it similar in Mageia.
The only plf package (and I make heavy use of plf packages) I ever had to
put in skip.list was libfreetype since the mdv one rendered fonts better
on my hardware.

> Well, the old simple logic works...
>
> lets say we "abuse" the release tag, for example changing "mga" to
> "mgt"
> then if the user enables "tainted" (meaning he/she wants the rpms)
> urpmi
> will automatically get the "mgt" ones, no questions asked...
>
> simple, and effective.

mga / mgt seems the best solution to me, just like Thomas says: simple and
effective!

--
Mageia ML Forum Gateway: http://mageia.linuxtech.net/forum/