[Mageia-dev] freedesktop spec and categories

Samuel Verschelde stormi at laposte.net
Thu Feb 24 10:06:49 CET 2011

Le jeudi 24 février 2011 08:27:36, Oliver Burger a écrit :
> Am Donnerstag 24 Februar 2011, 08:20:41 schrieb Tux99:
> > I have always hated that apps 'disappear' in the Other folders, can we
> > not completely get rid of the Other folders, they don't make any sense
> > (at least intuitively for a user).
>
> IIRC this is triggered by the "Categories" entry in the desktop file of the
> application. I think we would have to patch ALL upstream desktop files to
>  get rid of it which would be quite a pain.
>
> Oliver

I don't think so. Several Mandriva releases ago, there was no such "More"
entry, but real sub-categories in the menu. Then it changed for what we have
now, but that wasn't a change in the .desktop files, rather a menu
configuration. I guess that was a decision meant to bring "simplicity", but I
always hated that choice, because nobody can know in advance whether an
application will show in the first level or be hidden in the "more" section. I
prefer a 2-level menu tree. If people find that it makes too much clicks, then
they shouldn't be using the menu but add a shortcut to the applications they
use regularly in their taskbar or desktop (or just use ALT+F2).

Regards

Samuel