[Mageia-dev] freedesktop spec and categories

Jérôme Hénin heninj at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 13:53:48 CET 2011

Hi everyone,

On 24 February 2011 13:27, Michael Scherer <misc at zarb.org> wrote:
> This is not the number of click, but the fact that it take a longer time
> to scan the whole menu. Like reading a article with and without carriage
> return. The number of word to read are the same, but it is easier with
> carriage return, because this doesn't require any form of coordination
> ( ie, this is not on the same cognitive level ).
>
> I am not sure if I am clear enough, but on the other hand, I fear that
> explaining the whole topic would requires much more time, and time have
> showed that people hate when I explain them ergonomics ( as seen on
> various rpmdrake bugs ).

Michael, your point about ergonomics is very true in principle, but
there seems to be a missing link in its implementation. The two-tier
system, with a 'More...' submenu is very sensible, _if_ that submenu
contains the most rarely used entries. IIRC, a bunch of proprietary
applications do this with self-masking menu entries. In our case
(mdv/mga), there is no mechanism to ensure this, as far as I know.
That would be a major step forward.

Best,
Jérôme