[Mageia-dev] freedesktop spec and categories

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Thu Feb 24 20:15:04 CET 2011

Le jeudi 24 février 2011 à 20:30 +0200, Anssi Hannula a écrit :
> On 24.02.2011 18:57, Tux99 wrote:
> >

> > Quote: Michael Scherer wrote on Thu, 24 February 2011 13:27

> >> Yes, and that's a choice that can be backed by several studies on the
> >> subject, the working memory have been estimated to be 7 chunks of
> >> information ( between 5 and 9 is a wildly accepted range ). I remember
> >> having seen a studie saying that it was less than this, but I cannot
> >> find it ( and it was on slashdot, so this may have been wrong ).
> >>
> >> So presenting only ~7 chunks of information ( ie ~7 items in menu ) is
> >> better according to the current cognitive model used, such as this one
> >> :
> >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_information_processor_model
>
> Eh, isn't that a reason to switch *back* to the two-level system, not to
> keep the current system?

I do not think so. What chunk of informations do you take in account ?

> I have about 15-30 entries in everyone of Internet, Office, Audio/Video,
> Tools, Tools->System submenus.

By submenu, you mean the "more" submenu ? I fail to understand what do
you have exactly, can you provides a screenshot ?

> With a two-level system it would be considerably less and closer to the
> ~7 you mention.

Depend, what is the process that you are wanting to improve ?
( and closer is not good enough, even if 15 is nearer to 7 than 20,
that's still too much and a different process is used ( according to
studies ))

--
Michael Scherer