[Mageia-dev] About panotools patent problem (and other problematic rpms)

Anssi Hannula anssi.hannula at iki.fi
Sat Feb 26 23:31:28 CET 2011

On 26.02.2011 22:20, andre999 wrote:
> Anssi Hannula a écrit :
>>
>> On 26.02.2011 07:35, andre999 wrote:
>>> actually, any of those suggestions would be an improvement ;)
>>> I did suggest "contrained".
>>> Ubuntu uses "restricted" and/or "multiverse" (which include mostly
>>> non-free packages), and there were a lot of other suggestions.
>>> There was only ONE that seemed inappropriate.
>>
>> Ubuntu's "multiverse" and "restricted" contain non-free packages only.
>> Packages in "tainted" are all free packages.
>
> ok
> just the Ubuntu web site repository descriptions indicate that
> patent-threatened or legally restricted packages would go into these
> repositories, along with the usual non-free.
> I have no idea what they do in practice.

They have fully enabled ffmpeg in main, and mplayer,x264,lame in
universe. So patent-constrained pkgs do not appear to be put in multiverse.

> do you mean that you consider that non-free packages should go into
> non-free, even if threatened by legal or patent constraints ?

Well, those don't really belong to either, so I'm unsure what would be
done with those. However, I'm not aware of any such packages so it is a
moot point :)

--
Anssi Hannula