[Mageia-dev] Contributors using real name/working email? or not? or maybe?

Buchan Milne bgmilne at staff.telkomsa.net
Fri Mar 4 09:05:02 CET 2011

On Thursday, 3 March 2011 22:43:25 Maarten Vanraes wrote:

> I think we need to have a name and email address. however, some options:
>

> A. possibly "cn" could be editable in identity

Please stop referring to possibilities that exist as if they don't ... it is
depressing that people keep assuming things don't work, when one has put
effort into making them work ...

(IOW, if users should *not* be able to edit cn, then there is one
configuration entry to edit)

> ==> this will allow people to fill in what they want, be it full name,
> nickname, or full name AND nickname
>
> cn could then be used as the name field

That is the current situation, at least in bugzilla, and should be in forum.

> B. an email address is required IMHO, and preferably a @mageia.org email
> address
>
> however, if people wouldn't want to have their email address listed, an
> extra option is this:
>
> C. how about we make <packagename>@packages.mageia.org, which could use the
> maintainers database to forward the email to maintainers (in case of more)
> (this could also be a packagegroup. eg: firefox at packages.mageia.org could
> refer to maintainers of firefox, xulrunner, etc...) (this option might
> just be too complex)

/me notes that this might be easier done in LDAP, as a postfix alias map.
Which begs the question ... should the maintainer "database" be in LDAP
instead?

(BTW., I was thinking along the lines of package groups, with multi-valued
attribute for package name and maintainer. e.g.:

dn: cn=firefoxteam,ou=Packages,dc=mageia,dc=org
objectClass: mageiaPackageGroup
cn: firefox-team
mail: firefox at packages.mageia.org
mageiaPackage: firefox
mageiaPackage: firefox-en_gb
mageiaPackage: firefox-ext-firebug
mageiaMaintainer: foo at mageia.org
mageiaMaintainer: bar at mageia.org
owner: uid=xxx,ou=People,dc=mageia,dc=org

> D. if people really want to use their own personal email address, perhaps
> one can be opted-in to use that one. (but this should be decided in a
> policy and be strict on it either YES/NO)

Per-user options are difficult to administer, I would prefer the same
behaviour for everyone, and the choice to provide data at the user's
discretion. E.g., the current situation, where contributors are requested to
provide real givenName,sn, but are free to use whatever cn they prefer, and
all external tools use cn. sn and givenName are only used for account/identity
validation, legal requirements etc. and all uses of the data must respect
privacy policy.

> personally, i like:
> A, B, C, but vote NO for D.
>
> i would like to use "AL13N <alien at mageia.org>" being used. my real name is
> kind of not linked the the email address.

Well, I haven't seen any authoritative statement on whether all contributors
will have @mageia.org aliases, and some work needs to be done for this if it
will be provided.

Regards,
Buchan