[Mageia-dev] Contributors using real name/working email? or not? or maybe?

Maarten Vanraes maarten.vanraes at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 13:57:58 CET 2011

Op zaterdag 05 maart 2011 10:41:24 schreef Buchan Milne:
[...]
> So, the issues are:
>
> 1)What to use in the From tag in the mail to the changelog list.
>
> Mandriva: From: Full Name <devel at mandriva...>
> Mageia:   From: Mageia Team <buildsystem-daemon at mageia....>
>
> IMHO, it is beneficial to have the "name" of the submitter of the package
> in the From tag, you can easily, from just looking at the list of mails in
> a folder, see what packages were updated, and if they are packages you
> maintain, who submitted them, without even having to open the mail. Having
> a generic static text here is of no benefit ...
>
> What we use as the "name" of the user is worth discussing, but I don't see
> any reason to limit it to being the username.
>
> I don't see a need to have the email address in the From be dedicated to
> the packager/submitter.
>
> Proposal 1.1:
> From: $user{cn} <packages at mageia.org>
> e.g.
> From: Buchan Milne <packages at mageia.org>
>
> If we want to rather try and build teams who work on specific groups of
> packages, it may be better to have use:
>
> Proposal 1.2:
> From: $user{cn} <%name at packages.mageia.org>
> e.g.
> From: Buchan Milne <openldap at packages.mageia.org>
>
> and have per-package aliases tied to the maintainer database. This may make
> it easier to assign bugs in bugzilla, without having to re-assign bugs
> whenever someone joins/leaves/changes roles.
>
> Additionally, assuming Reply-To is not set, replying to the changelog mail
> would get you to all the contributors who maintain the package. With
> Reply-To set, Reply-All would get you to a mailing list, as well as the
> alias. In my case, I filter mail based on mailing list tags, so this would
> mean mails about my packages would not hit the mailing list folder, but
> could hit a different folder with a better priority.
>
> It might be a bit overkill in some situations (e.g. kde-i18n-
> af at packages.mageia.org), but maybe we could look up the maintainer team
> from the package name, and that could be i18n-af at mageia.org or
> kde at packages.mageia.org.
>
> But, if we want to focus on team work rather than individuals, maybe:
> Proposal 1.3
> From: Mageia %name team <openldap at packages.mageia.org>
> e.g.
> From: Mageia openldap team <openldap at packages.mageia.org>
>
> Again, we could possible look up the maintainer team name, e.g. "Mageia
> Afrikaans localisation team" or "Mageia KDE team" using the example above,
> or "Mageia Server team" or "Mageia LDAP team" or similar in this example:
> From: Mageia %name{cn} <%name{mail}>
>
> But, this loses some of the easy-overview-by-folder-view.
>
> Finally, there is always the totally personal, spam-attracting option:
> Proposal 1.4
> From: $user{cn} <$user{mail}>
> e.g.
> From: Buchan Milne <bgmilne at xxx>

> [...]

I greatly thank you for this very long and elaborate but clear proposal
overview, imo if this goes on too long, we should vote for it and move on.

because i'm pretty sure i read that we will get @mageia.org email addresses,
i'll differentiate it from X.4 by calling "$user{uid}@mageia.org" X.5

perhaps we can just all list our personal preferences in this subthread, so
it'll immediately be clear who wants which options.

personal preferences:

1) 1.2 or 1.3
2) 2.2 or 2.5
3) 3.5 (again uid + @mageia.org)