[Mageia-dev] Yet another list of missing packages

Thierry Vignaud thierry.vignaud at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 16:21:57 CET 2011

On 10 March 2011 16:13, Michael Scherer <misc at zarb.org> wrote:
> I think we should do some cleaning.
> - zcip is dead upstream ( but I imported before seeing this )
> - rpm-rebuilder is IMHO not used much

and is somewhat obsoleted by modern BS even if user case is somewhat different

> - zaptel-* are deprecated, that's now called dadhi
> - rio500, does people still have this hardware ?
> - sndconfig, same question ( afaik, it serve to configure isa sound
> cards )

was usefull since we cannot automatically support ISA cards
(no easy way to detect, detection could deadlock machines, ...)
(at least pnp* isn't needed since kernel-2.6.x?)
But ISApnp cards cannot be inserted in modern machines for ~8 years.
Dunno until what years ISA sound chips got still implemented on motherboards.
At least, I haven't seen any request for ISA support for 4-5 years.

> There is also a lot of hardware related software, can people check if
> this is still used ?

we mainly miss binary dkms packages IMHO