[Mageia-dev] database servers

Frank Griffin ftg at roadrunner.com
Fri Mar 11 12:49:56 CET 2011

Oliver Burger wrote:
> Normally this is working nicely, but if you are using extensions to postgres
> like postgis and so on (which may or may not be packaged and thus be selve
> compiled), it can be a pain in the ass.

"can be" --> "usually is".

I don't actually use postgre, but I have historically installed it to
have it available as an option.  Every time the packages update, there
are conflicts that prevent seamless installation.  IIRC this is due to
the desire to keep old versions around, Unfortunately, the new and old
packages usually have conflicts that prevent them being installed
side-by-side.  I'm not sure if the expectation is that users will delay
the install of the new until they've dumped their databases using the
old, and then manually uninstall the old, but this breaks seamless updates.

If multiple versions are needed, please eliminate the conflicts between
the packages.