[Mageia-dev] Repository question: where do we put non-free+tainted RPMs?

Tux99 tux99-mga at uridium.org
Mon Mar 14 14:30:04 CET 2011

Quote: Anssi Hannula wrote on Mon, 14 March 2011 00:35

> On 14.03.2011 01:01, Tux99 wrote:
> >
> > Personally I also think 'tainted' would be the better choice than
> > 'non-free' since potential patent issues are a more serious concern
> > than a
> > non-FOSS license, but tbh I think both choices are far from ideal,
> > believe the only really clean solution would be to create a
> > 'tainted+non-free' repo just like PLF has.
>
> One option would be to add it to "tainted", but have it require a
> dummy
> metapackage from "non-free" repository, so that it can be only
> installed
> if non-free media is enabled. It might cause too much confusion,
> though,
> as the error message wouldn't be very clear.

I agree that the metapackage solution is impractical since it would cause
too much confusion for users.

I would have hoped that the packaging team leaders would give their opinion
on where to put a 'tainted+non-free' package too.

Since there has been no other comments on this matter so far I assume that
nobody minds, therefore given the existing layout of 'core', 'non-free'
and 'tainted' repos, I would say 'tainted' is the best suited repo and
interpret the scope of the 'tainted' repo as being for all 'tainted'
packages, free and non-free.

Does anybody disagree with this and has a better suggestion?

--
Mageia ML Forum Gateway: http://mageia.linuxtech.net/forum/