[Mageia-dev] Alpha-1 Comments

JA Magallón jamagallon at ono.com
Tue Mar 15 01:12:42 CET 2011

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 00:46:23 +0100, JA Magallón <jamagallon at ono.com> wrote:

> Hi all...
>
> First of all, nice work, people !! Hope all version 0 alphas were like
> this...
>
> I know I'm late for Alpha-2, but here are some comments about the install
> of alpha-1, hope they are useful for beta-1 if they are not already fixed.
> For the missing packages, probably they are things accessible through
> repos once installed, but some I think they should be in the ISOs...
>
> Here we go:
>
> - lsb-release, it looks like the standard way of versioning...
> - Is the format of /etc/release stable yet or will it change ? If it is not,
>   you could add 'zeroes' where they should go. IE, if you ever plan to do
>   a Mageia 1.1 relase, please call this 1.0 instead of '1'.
> - could dmidecode be in the iso ?
> - same for gpm, could it be installed and enabled by default on the final
>   installed system ?
> - missing gnome things, like gnome-themes or gnome-panel, but I suppose this
>   is already fixed (btw, I seem to remember that Anne sent a URL for the
>   Alpha2 package list, but I have not been able to recall it from my mailbox...)
> - this is artwork matter, but, plzzz could you put the installer metal grid
>   background as GDM/KDM background also ? I liiiiike it ;)
> - a question: will mageia use systemd by default or not ?
>
> TIA, and good Alpha 2 !!
> I'm hitting reload in my browser to see the ISO appear ;).

A couple ideas more...

In metacity, enable the compositor by default, even if the user doesnt want
3D efeccts. No compiz, no CPU cycles lost, but a nice shadow around windows
ala MacOSX.

And, now that you are building a new distro, perhaps the HOME layout could be changed.
Nowadays:

Documents Templates Pictures Videos Music ....

Perhaps:

Documents Documents/Templates Media/Image Media/Video Media/Music

so in your ~home you just see 'Documents' and 'Media'. Just XDG default settings.

by

--
J.A. Magallon <jamagallon()ono!com>     \               Software is like sex:
                                         \         It's better when it's free