[Mageia-dev] Repository question: where do we put non-free+tainted RPMs?

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Tue Mar 15 01:16:15 CET 2011

Le mardi 15 mars 2011 à 00:59 +0100, Tux99 a écrit :

> Quote: Michael Scherer wrote on Tue, 15 March 2011 00:18
>
> > Usually, people who do write non-free softwares on Linux ( like Adobe
> > for flashplayer, Oracle for Java, etc ) are also those that do
> > commercial business around it, and also pay the patent holder for
> > usage,
> > as seen when accepting the license on installation.
>
> I have the impression there is a misunderstanding, the sw you are talking
> about is a special case, and in the case of Adobe it's actually not open
> source software at all, I was talking about non-commercial open source
> software that has a FOSS incompatible license (and is 'tainted', i.e. with
> patent issues).
> As far as I can see most of the stuff in 'non-free' is like this, open
> source but with a FOSS incompatible license, not binary-only.

We don't look at the same repository then :
http://sophie.zarb.org/distrib/Mageia/cauldron/i586/media/nonfree-release

There is at the moment 0 software with sources.

If you speak of Mandriva :
http://sophie.zarb.org/distrib/Mandriva/cooker/i586/media/non-free-release

To me, the vast majority are distributed without sources. Those that
have sources are free software ( freecol for example ), but requires
something from non-free.
--
Michael Scherer