[Mageia-dev] Repository question: where do we put non-free+tainted RPMs?

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Tue Mar 15 11:28:06 CET 2011

Le mardi 15 mars 2011 à 05:06 +0100, Tux99 a écrit :

> To add some examples of 'tainted+non-free' packages (that also include
> source code) I just came across in plf free (plf doesn't seem to be too
> strict about their free/non-free subdivision):

I was in Vienna in May 2004 when we first discussed the split with the 3
others terrorists present ( but the change was effective 9 months
later :
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.mandrake.plf.general/993 ), so I
think I can call myself knowledgeable on the way things should be for
PLF, despites having leaved the project some time ago. So if you
provides examples, that's nice, but that's likely bugs.

> amrnb-7.0.0.2-2plf2011.0.src.rpm
> amrwb-7.0.0.3-2plf2011.0.src.rpm

This one is interesting, because the whole code is free in the tarball,
as this download the code from the internet at compile time. The
resulting code is IMHO non-free. I would suggest to drop it and to use
http://sourceforge.net/projects/opencore-amr/ , which is more cleanly
licensed ( Apache license ). That's how rpmfusion does.

That's IMHO a bug that should be reported to PLF, unless Anssi
disagree :)

> faac-1.28-3plf2011.0.src.rpm

The software license is LGPL 2 or later, according to Sophie
http://sophie.zarb.org/rpms/7f88a24475773b9426d03122bcaa521f

> Where will we put these in Mangeia? 'tainted' or 'non-free' or a new
> 'tainted+non-free' repo?

amrnb -> dropped, replaced by opencore-amr
faac -> tainted

--
Michael Scherer