[Mageia-dev] Repository question: where do we put non-free+tainted RPMs?

Tux99 tux99-mga at uridium.org
Tue Mar 15 16:13:38 CET 2011

Quote: Michael Scherer wrote on Tue, 15 March 2011 11:28

> > amrnb-
> > amrwb-
> This one is interesting, because the whole code is free in the
> tarball,
> as this download the code from the internet at compile time. The
> resulting code is IMHO non-free.

If you look closer you will find that the source rpm actually contains the
zip file with the code that is supposed to be downloaded. It also contains
a .doc that apparently is not distributable.

> I would suggest to drop it and to use
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/opencore-amr/ ,
> which is more cleanly licensed ( Apache license ).

Is opencore-amr a drop-in replacement for amrnb/amrwb for ALL packages that
depend on it?
A quick google search didn't turn up a lot, only that apparently gstreamer
and ffmpeg can make use of opencore-amr.

Is the audio quality comparable?
I couldn't find any indication of that, but gstreamer has put opencore-amr
into the ugly plugins, rather than bad where amrnb/amrwb are, I don't know
if that's an indication of worse quality.

With regards to facc there is no equivalent replacement for it and it's
used by by a few projects so definitely can't be dropped.

Also while the faac license is non-free, it's not a problem to distribute
it, so the only problem we have is to decide where to put it (keeping in
mind where packages that depend on it will go too).

Mageia ML Forum Gateway: http://mageia.linuxtech.net/forum/