[Mageia-dev] Seamonkey package

andre999 andr55 at laposte.net
Fri Mar 18 05:17:36 CET 2011

nicolas vigier a écrit :

> On Thu, 17 Mar 2011, andre999 wrote:
>
>> Romain d'Alverny a écrit :

>>> Right, thanks. But that doesn't solve the trademark usage issue,
>>> actually. So the question is still open.
>>>
>>> Romain
>>
>> First of all, for a short period of time Mozilla seemed to require special
>> permission to do _any_ redistribution based on Mozilla source code, a
>
> No, they required permissions only when using their trademark. The
> source code is free software, and can be used without permission.

Ok.  I should have added "without changing the name".  But that seems to
have been a misunderstanding, anyway.

>> situation which was a response to commercial sites grossly abusing Mozilla
>> software, essentially defrauding end-users in the name of Mozilla.
>> Subsequently they clarified their policy (but forgot to update their site
>> for a while.)
>> (The iceweavel project, created in reaction to this problem, died shortly
>> after Mozilla clarified their policy.)
>
> The iceweavel project is still alive, and still used in Debian at the
> moment, so it did not die shortly after Mozilla clarified their policy.

I was going by posts of a number of contributors to the project.  So the
phoenix is alive ... :)

> And Mozilla did not change their policy. What they changed is the license
> of the logo, which was not available under a free license but is now
> available under the MPL, GPL or LGPL license (but still protected by
> trademark, which is different than copyright).

Which is the policy I was referring to ...

>> According to their site, the clarified policy says essentially that
>> as long as
>> 1) we don't modify the source code (other than applying Mozilla-originated
>> patches, which we can do by updating from their cvs), and
>> 2) we don't charge for the code,
>> we can redistribute Mozilla products using the name, trademarks and logos.
>
> The "don't charge" is only for Unaltered Binaries distribution.

It is under the "unaltered binaries" heading, but includes compiled
unmodified source code, which need not contain the installer.
(A version without installer has always been available.)

Since source code can be downloaded from Mozilla cvs, where patches are
available, much if not all code needed could come from directly from
Mozilla.
Thus meeting Mozilla trademark conditions, without requiring special
permission.
However it doesn't hurt to confirm ...

>> As far as I know, Mandriva has never modified the source code, other than
>> applying Mozilla security patches.  And I don't see us at Mageia wanting to
>> do so either.
>
> As already said, our package includes some small patches :
> http://svnweb.mageia.org/packages/cauldron/firefox/current/SOURCES/

Ok.  How much of that is not available directly from Mozilla ?

Maybe we should get permission anyway, but I think it would be a good
idea to submit any patches upstream, and pull (especially security)
patches from Mozilla cvs.
(cvs will evidently be a lot more uptodate than releases - sometimes by
several months, as they finish more critical security fixes.)

Then we won't have a problem being out of sync, with a lot more patches
to maintain.
Even if a patch comes from Fedora or elsewhere, we could still send it
upstream first.
This will affect Firefox a lot more than Seamonkey, which is usually a
step behind. (letting Firefox squash the bugs :) )

--
André