[Mageia-dev] base system size for next beta1

JA Magallón jamagallon at ono.com
Fri Mar 18 10:07:12 CET 2011

On Thu, 17 Mar 2011 21:14:14 +0100, Anne nicolas <ennael1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi there
>
> We've had quite a lot of comments, proved or not, about base system
> size. Looks like it's growing much too fast. So one job for next beta
> would be to investigate on this:
>
> - check real size
> - check deps
> - check rpmsrate for isos
>
> Comments welcome

I did a fast-n-dirty check:

urpmq -d basesystem > pkg.lst
(clean pkg.lst from options like *|*|*)
wc -l pkg.lst
rpm -q --qf "%{SIZE} %{NAME}\n" $(cat pkg.lst) | sort -rn | head -n 20

mageia-alpha2:

paradise:~/bs# wc -l pkg.lst
359 pkg.lst
paradise:~/bs# rpm -q --qf "%{SIZE} %{NAME}\n" $(cat pkg.lst) | sort -rn | head -n 20
45506337 kernel-desktop-2.6.37.4-1.mga
40791645 perl
25020180 glibc
19551741 gtk+2.0
12553946 coreutils
10865049 nss
9223562 seahorse
8571631 gnome-icon-theme
8546929 cracklib-dicts
7918625 initscripts
6868616 lib64smbclient0
6820286 gnupg2
6613652 gnome-disk-utility
6078776 GConf2
5991009 util-linux-ng
5875196 lib64gtk+-x11-2.0_0
5534040 libgphoto-common
5034247 gnome-keyring
4954052 gnupg
4832218 glib2.0-common

mandriva-cooker:

werewolf:~/bs# wc -l pkg.lst
307 pkg.lst
werewolf:~/bs# rpm -q --qf "%{SIZE} %{NAME}\n" $(cat pkg.lst) | sort -rn | head -n 20
45503738 kernel-desktop-2.6.37.2-1mnb
25020574 glibc
19551741 gtk+2.0
12600040 coreutils
9774536 lib64krb53
9250961 seahorse
8547843 cracklib-dicts
7249556 initscripts
6938280 lib64smbclient0
6815473 gnupg2
6613652 gnome-disk-utility
6082605 GConf2
5992302 util-linux-ng
5875196 lib64gtk+-x11-2.0_0
5566480 libgphoto-common
5128599 gnome-keyring
4974163 gnupg
4852925 glib2.0-common
4790715 ldetect-lst
3541467 xfsprogs

Big differences: perl+nss+gnome-icon-theme = 60Mb.
It looks strange that nothing is pulling perl in cooker, is it a bug ?

The rest is a big cherry-picking work...

Perhaps the problem is not basesystem itself.
I noticed that the installer in alpha2 installs a lot of things (many
kde things, I seem to remember) even before asking about what desktop
env the user wants.
Perhaps the problem is in the installer...

Anyways, a x86-64 mageia system (without texlive ;) ) with some added programs
I needed after the install, and after deleting all kde|qt|plasma is now at:

paradise:~/bs# df
Filesystem    Type    Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda1     ext4     39G  3.2G   34G   9% /
/dev/sda2    btrfs    108G   56K  106G   1% /scratch/local

Texlive adds like another 1.5Gb to the payload.

Just a quick check.

--
J.A. Magallon <jamagallon()ono!com>     \               Software is like sex:
                                         \         It's better when it's free