[Mageia-dev] removing packages from svn

Ahmad Samir ahmadsamir3891 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 23:00:22 CET 2011

On 18 March 2011 18:41, Olivier Blin <mageia at blino.org> wrote:
> nicolas vigier <boklm at mars-attacks.org> writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> When we are removing a package from svn because it is no more wanted on
>> the repository, we usually do "svn rm". However it makes it more
>> difficult to see old packages, or see it existed if we want to reimport
>> it. So I think it would be better to move it to an other directory.
>>
>> Packages are currently in this directory :
>>  svn+ssh://svnweb.mageia.org/svn/packages/cauldron
>> With binary files in :
>>  svn+ssh://svnweb.mageia.org/svn/binrepos/cauldron
>>
>> And I think we could create this one to move removed packages :
>>  svn+ssh://svnweb.mageia.org/svn/packages/obsoletes
>> And the same for binrepos :
>>  svn+ssh://svnweb.mageia.org/svn/binrepos/obsoletes
>>
>> mgarepo can have a command to remove a package, and move it to the
>> obsoletes directory on both repositories (as suggested in bug #318).
>>
>> What do you think ?
>
> It makes sense.
> But why the extra "s" in the "obsoletes" name?
> "obsolete" seems better
>
> --
> Olivier Blin - blino

I agree too, and having a command to remove the package from the
mirror should lessen sysadm work with regards to this (though I guess
some restrictions should be enforced... e.g. moving glibc from the
repos shouldn't be allowed for everyone....).

Would it make sense that when doing 'mgarepo import' that the
/obsolete/ contents are checked too and the import is not allowed if
it exists in /obsolete/ ? this way instead of importing the package
afresh, an 'svn mv' should work, and the svn log is kept...

--
Ahmad Samir