[Mageia-dev] Non-free firmwares in installer

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 24 09:57:17 CET 2011

2011/3/24 Ahmad Samir <ahmadsamir3891 at gmail.com>:
> On 24 March 2011 02:58, Dexter Morgan <dmorganec at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 1:38 AM, Ahmad Samir <ahmadsamir3891 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Has the Free DVD in Mandriva ever contained non-free firmware?
>>
>> No, but the question is more , will we provide a "non free" dvd iso,
>> and this question is i think interesting.
>>

> It can't be "free" and have "non-free" firmware... previously the
> firmware only were on the Live CD's. I am not sure anything has been
> changed in that regard (i.e. I didn't see the matter get discussed
> yet).

Correct. It's the same dilemma you have in Mandriva. You either need a
cable attached to use the free edition or you have to use the "ONE
Edition" and install all the needed software later (ex:
system-config-printer, which is not on the ONE cds). If you want to
have a free distribution there's no way around this as long as there
is the need for non-free firmware to use certain hardware.

A possible solution for people with such a setup could be a non-free
"driver cd ISO" which they could include in the installation process.

--
wobo