[Mageia-dev] Non-free firmwares in installer

Donald Stewart watersnowrock at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 10:39:14 CET 2011

On 24 March 2011 05:22, Wolfgang Bornath <molch.b at googlemail.com> wrote:
> 2011/3/24 Thomas Backlund <tmb at iki.fi>:
>> Wolfgang Bornath skrev 24.3.2011 10:57:

>>> Correct. It's the same dilemma you have in Mandriva. You either need a
>>> cable attached to use the free edition or you have to use the "ONE
>>> Edition" and install all the needed software later (ex:
>>> system-config-printer, which is not on the ONE cds). If you want to
>>> have a free distribution there's no way around this as long as there
>>> is the need for non-free firmware to use certain hardware.
>>>
>>> A possible solution for people with such a setup could be a non-free
>>> "driver cd ISO" which they could include in the installation process.
>>>

>> This is actually a very good idea, and already supported by the installer,
>> so it should work nicely...
>>
>> I think this is the way to do it...
>
> I'll open an "enhancement" bug for that.
>
> --
> wobo

I've never installed with more than one cd, but from memory, the
installer asks for extra media, surely if your installing from the
free dvd and have to eject it to add a non-free cd then that would
cause problems, or have I misunderstood?

If I've misunderstood, this would be really great. An extra thing
would be a plug in that the installer could download for you
containing the non-free stuff. Quite often I install new stuff on my
laptop close to a wire, then take it out with me and thats when I need
the wireless stuff. Not to mention non-free graphics drivers on
desktops that have a wired connection having to be installed and set
up post install.